Re: Clinging to Microsoft (was Re: [opensuse] Why openSUSE is less popular than Ubuntu?)
  • From: Dirk Gently <dirk.gently00@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 21:38:01 -0500
Anton Aylward wrote:
Lars Müller said the following on 12/08/2011 07:51 AM:
When do we finally manage to keep it simple stupid?

Oh?
Somewhere along the line Microsoft has been both "dumbing down" and
"educating up" users. They now know how to use the mouse, pull down
menus and such. Microsoft has introduced many radical (?!?!) features
like the floating menus strip (or do you call it tear-off menus?), the
"do everything via a GUI" approach and the supporting APIs that mean the
GUI is not simply a front-end for the "command line behind the scenes".

The cost of this, for many users (and that includes sysadmins) is that
what were difficult, multi-step, multi-decision tasks at the command
line level are now GUI-fied and don't need a great deal of
understanding. I'm not saying my cat can configure Windows, but seeing
how some Windows sysadmins just bat the mouse around I'm not sure there
is a lot of difference.

Does this mean that computing has gone the same way as the automobile
industry where, in the search for profit, a hormone crazed, distracted,
irresponsible, immature sixteen year old can drive two tons of poorly
maintained (and possibly uninsured) Detroit Iron down the highway at
breakneck speeds while drunk, stoned and deafened by a sound system that
is worth more than the car itself and which compete with the the THX
system at my local theatre, but is treated the same as the eco-conscious
40-year-old experienced driver in the Prius

If some 40-year old is driving a Prius for the benefit of the ecological
environment, then he's even more dangerous than the drunk, deaf, and
stoned out of his gourd 16-year old...

In the morning, the 16 year old will be sober, and in a few years,
he'll mature somewhat. In contrast to the aforementioned stoner, the
Prius owner has had 40 years to pull his head out of his ass and stop
believing in hippie fairy tales, but still hasn't, and never will.