Re: [opensuse] why not openSUSE used grub 2?
On Thursday, December 08, 2011 09:48 AM Linux Tyro wrote:
On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 9:27 AM, Sven Burmeister <sven.burmeister@xxxxxxx>
wrote:
Learning is the step before knowing

True and that's why I have started to learn.

Good for you. In the spirit of "learning", go back and read the reply from
Anton regarding what it requires of a programmer to really understand what is
involved in installing and managing a boot loader, let alone all the additional
work of integration with the other pieces that interface with the loader
installation. This isn't just a matter of "a" developer or "a" volunteer doing
this work. I mean no offense, but you really are in over your head here.

I share Anton's, Felix's, and others sentiment that this is something that I am
glad the project does not take this on until (a) it is necessary and (b) we can
be sure it can be done exactly right.

If you want to "learn" how to install grub2, by all means, go ahead. The
package is there, and so is the documentation. It can be installed outside of
YaST just as legacy grub can be.

And whether another distribution has done so or not is beside the point. We
are
not in some sort of horse-race. The community decides its priorities, and
grub2
is on the list, but it's not at the top. You've made your request and your
point - albeit not an informed one - so now let it go. Or is that too much to
ask?