[opensuse] Re: Clinging to Microsoft
On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 05:28:28PM +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
Lars Müller wrote:

On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 02:58:22PM +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
[ 8< ]
It seems to me that at most it is a question of adding a tickbox that
says "Simplified installation", and amending the installation process
to whatever we think is simple. We already have a tickbox
for "automatic configuration" that works in a similar way.

No, no, and one more no.

Cause a beginner doesn't know that this simplified installation mode
is good for beginners. I consider it also bad from the psycho
motivation.
Who is willing to be a beginner? As soon as you decided to go the
expert way and then something goes wrong it's much easier to
understand.
For a person used to use Linux it's much, much easiert to decide
against the default workflow.

Yes, yes and one more yes. :-)
We're talking about two different things - you seem to be talking about
changing the default, I'm _only_ proposing adding another installation
flow.

"another" = additional? To make the matrix even more complex?

I might not get your approach. But by adding yet another dialog and
asking the user if it is a simplified guy and likes to run the the
simplified installation workflow we even add one more question and also
risk to annoy the advanced users too.

I agree that changing the default is going to be an uphill
struggle (I'll leave that to you) and not in line with our strategy,
but offering a simplified installation path is perfectly possible.

Sorry, what is our strategy you have in mind?

Why do you consider this an uphill struggle?

And why do you think you can leave that up to me?

A simplified install workflow isn't only possible. I consider it as
within reach.

This is mainly a question of checking which dialogs are really needed.
It's already possible to mostly only click the botton labled next
without entering anything.

And a beginner doesn't care about KDE or Gnome. The network
configuration is mostly driven by a DHCP server.

I moved the gathered input to https://features.opensuse.org/313062
There I've added even a reference to the beginning of this thread. Feel
free to vote. I volunteer to help if someone of the community likes to
work on this.

Lars
--
Lars Müller [ˈlaː(r)z ˈmʏlɐ]