Re: [opensuse] A request to Attachmate/Novell
On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 11:51:29AM -0500, Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 11:32 AM, Linux Tyro <opensuse.bkn1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Can Novell/Attachmate people set a mailing list intended for only home
users where they could be helped much better?

No by two reasons:

a) we already have more than 80 lists.
b) the rules when a new list gets created are quite simple: as soon as
there is a need.

Ok, by all the noise _you_ created alone in the last days it might be
time to create a dedicated list to you. ;)

There are common rules when an additional list gets created. I've seen
projects suffer from too many lists. And I count openSUSE as such a
project as I tried to stress in the past. See for example Samba, we're
driving the project with two main lists.

Creating a new list or closing one is nothing which is driven by SUSE.
It's up to the project which decides as it decides on other project issues.

P.S. I am not saying that these lists are not the best place for any
solution. Rather if anything like a separate newbie channel could be
established, that could be more of a great en-devours and I bet this
would also be a reason that in the coming 1-2 years, openSUSE would
hit the world with no.1 position.

I have suggested this since I have liked openSUSE to a great extent
and feels as if it is MINE distribution of choice. I know, I might be
wrong for this suggestion, but since it came in my mind, I wanted it
to say to the owner of the Novell/Attachmate director.

That seems to happen naturally.

Most of the home users and more basic support takes place on the
forums. (There is advanced stuff there too, but you are correct that
the mailing lists tend to be far more technical.)

http://forums.opensuse.org/

You should check them out.

Thanks Greg. I always forget the forums. That sound like a very, very
good suggestion.

Lars
--
Lars Müller [ˈlaː(r)z ˈmʏlɐ]