Re: Clinging to Microsoft (was Re: [opensuse] Why openSUSE is less popular than Ubuntu?)
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 17:28:28 +0100
Lars Müller wrote:

On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 02:58:22PM +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
[ 8< ]
It seems to me that at most it is a question of adding a tickbox that
says "Simplified installation", and amending the installation process
to whatever we think is simple. We already have a tickbox
for "automatic configuration" that works in a similar way.

No, no, and one more no.

Cause a beginner doesn't know that this simplified installation mode
is good for beginners. I consider it also bad from the psycho
motivation.
Who is willing to be a beginner? As soon as you decided to go the
expert way and then something goes wrong it's much easier to
understand.
For a person used to use Linux it's much, much easiert to decide
against the default workflow.

Yes, yes and one more yes. :-)
We're talking about two different things - you seem to be talking about
changing the default, I'm _only_ proposing adding another installation
flow. I agree that changing the default is going to be an uphill
struggle (I'll leave that to you) and not in line with our strategy,
but offering a simplified installation path is perfectly possible.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (5.3°C)