Re: [opensuse] Telephone tethering, Dynamic DNS and general fun
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 17:20:36 +0100
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

We run openSUSE (11.2, and soon 12.1) in vehicles out on the road.
They are all over the place. Sometimes it would be nice to access
these systems from the comfort of the office. Especially when they are
thousands of kilometers away. So, I am exploring what options there
are for openSUSE. I think there are many. So perhaps I mean which
option combination is the best.

I think the basic connection will be from a telephone that supports
tethering. We expect that to be supplied by the local user. It would
be connected to the USB port of the openSUSE computer.

Once connected, openSUSE needs to get on the network. I would imagine
that a telephone that supports tethering handles the IP address
assigned to the computer? How it gets the address is of no concern.
The computer will get an address. Right?

I would expect so, yes.

If the IP address could be accessed, I guess the next step might be to
register it with a dynamic DNS service so it can be know to us. Any
suggestions on a DNS service? This will be used rather seldom.

You wouldn't necessarily need DNS, your mobile unit could just open a
connection to e.g. your web-browser, and you'd know the client id.

Mainly in times of difficulty or support. I could even consider a
stupid solution where the system copies a file to a known IP address
that we could look at.
After that, the rest must be the regular service configurations.

Anyone else been there done that?

Last year I did have a look around for phones that would support
tethering, but I ended up buying a USB GSM modem instead.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (5.2°C)