Re: [opensuse] Kde network manager plasmoid pain still hurts
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 11:47:11 +0100
On Thu, 2011-12-08 at 10:09 +0100, Sven Burmeister wrote:
Am Donnerstag, 8. Dezember 2011, 08:34:59 schrieb Roger Oberholtzer:
Me too. I see so many other access points. But the one I am using (also
in the next room) works for a bit, then just goes away. When that
happens, it will not be in the list for a while. However, it seems that
if I click on Manage connections and in the wireless part select it, a
connection happens.

You can check with nm-tool whether NetworkManager sees your connection. If nm-
tool does not list it, there is nothing NetworkManager-clients, such as the
KDE one, can do about it.

If you check the logs /var/log/NetworkManager and maybe even
/var/log/wpa_supplicant, you might get more hints, e.g. that your connection
was marked as invalid.

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Tracking_down_wireless_problems#NetworkManager

Of course, it asks for the kwallet password again. I
thought the idea with the kwallet was once I told a program about it, it
can access the wallet as long as it runs. So I guess the program is
dying and restarting. Which is why the connection goes away.

It depends on whether you allow to access it "once" or "always". The wallet
closes after some time and your password is not necessarily kept in memory if
not needed. Further, since you might have changed something about the
connection while you were connected it would make sense to re-read if you
connect the next time.

I have it set to 'always'. Always. Of course, 'always' never did survive
logout. So perhaps 'always' is really 'this session'. Same for all users
of kwallet. When I start evolution, it asks as well. Presumably because
it uses a different wallet. But it only asks once per login. Even if I
restart it.

Unrelated to connection losses is the policyKit issue, i.e. that you are
asked
for root-password if you create a new connection.

In my case, when it is reconnecting after a loss, I only get asked the
kwallet password. Only if I make a change do I get the root password.
Which I can only assume is a different issue. The whole point of the
Network Manager, as opposed to ifup, I thought, was to let the setup be
done by a non-root user.

And yet another issue and really a bug is that sometimes you are asked for
root-password (PolicyKit) if the connection was lost.

Not sure I saw that. I really only remember the kwallet one at these
times. But don't quote me on that...

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST