Re: Clinging to Microsoft (was Re: [opensuse] Why openSUSE is less popular than Ubuntu?)
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 08:48:47 +0100
On Wed, 2011-12-07 at 13:02 -0800, Roger Luedecke wrote:

Yes. There is the Novell Vibe OnPrem product, and its opensource version
Kablink.

This is not really the same thing. It seems to me to be yet another
combined wiki/blog/forum/shared folder thingie. Sharepoint does not just
store things and let people yap at each other (even though it does that
aw well). It allows one to manage the content itself. There is a whole
Sharepoint API that allows one to make environments based on data and
interactions. Go in to a book store and look in the MS books area.
Sharepoint development will be a few shelves.

Despite the popular opinion of MS, they are not idiots. Sharepoint is
surely designed to make it difficult to integrate non-MS desktops AND
servers into the setup. I think Sharepoint is a big part of the MS cloud
strategy, including the network-based Office suite. Although the cloud
is 'out there', there is no standard. My cloud is not your cloud. Which
will surely evolve to be My Internet is not your Internet.

Still, I'm an optimist.

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST