Re: [opensuse] I want to set up my spare tower to serve as a web server for my local network.
  • From: Roger Luedecke <roger.luedecke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 13:54:46 -0800
On Wednesday, December 07, 2011 04:31:04 PM Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 4:22 PM, John Andersen <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 12/7/2011 1:07 PM, Roger Luedecke wrote:
I want to use it as a sandbox to play with web technologies. But
mainly I'd like to be able to set it up to serve a small site, like a
splash page for the home network. Like, if the roomie comes home and
connects, he'll be redirected to the local site first.

Your first goal (sandbox to play with web tech) seems like something you
should embark upon separately.

Your second goal, of hijacking web requests and directing them to your
own server seems ill advised.

Every hotel I've been in recently does it. Why not Roger?

ie. When you first try to use the web, most hotel's seem to have a
solution that causes their page to come up. Once you register as an
approved user, they open it up to the web.

ie. Roger could just have a Welcome page that asks the user to click
on something to allow them access to the world!

My issue is it sounds a little advanced for a early experiment. ie.
Roger would have to have a web-page that controlled a iptables setup
or something.

Greg
Maybe it is too advanced indeed. I had a roommate once who had it set up that
way with his Macs. Basically, I would just like to have it so that it can
bring up a page with say a calendar, notes, task list... that sort of thing.
--
Roger Luedecke
openSUSE Ambassador