Re: Clinging to Microsoft (was Re: [opensuse] Why openSUSE is less popular than Ubuntu?)
  • From: Roger Luedecke <roger.luedecke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 13:17:11 -0800
On Wednesday, December 07, 2011 02:00:33 PM C wrote:
On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 13:46, Anton Aylward <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
In other lists I'm on people are complaining that people join to ask
questions the answers to which are in the documentation - quite clearly
- and also in many articles on the 'Net, but fail to bother and use the
list as a crutch.

Sometimes it's dumbing down, sometimes it's zero search skills...

I can't count the number of times I've been stumped by an openSUSE
issue on one of my machines, searched and found nothing useful,
started drafting an email... and in the process of drafting the email
stumbled on a different way of restating my problem... searched on
that, and lo and behold, there was the answer in the docs. That's
kept me from sending many silly question emails.. not all though :-P

The info was there, but finding it was a case of knowing what to look
for. If you don't know the problem, you can't look it up - this
doesn't excuse the lazy, but... in way too many cases, the real root
issue of the silly questions that have simple well documented answers
is that the people looking for the answer don't know how to find it.

The frightening this about the "Help Desk" stories is they are true.

Haha, yes. One of my first post-University jobs was manning a help
desk. The stories about people complaining about the dust jacket on
their mouse (the plastic bag it was shipped in) making it hard to use
the mouse are true.

C.
O jeez. You mean like how I only just discovered that Bonjour/ZeroConf is
called Avahi in Linux? lol!
--
Roger Luedecke
openSUSE Ambassador