Re: Clinging to Microsoft (was Re: [opensuse] Why openSUSE is less popular than Ubuntu?)
  • From: Roger Luedecke <roger.luedecke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 13:02:09 -0800
On Wednesday, December 07, 2011 08:51:40 AM Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Wed, 2011-12-07 at 17:38 +1000, John Bennett wrote:
Or they just can't get the support from any "other than Windows"
suppliers! Our company has just gone through the process, and were
SERIOUSLY looking at a Linux solution (in particular, Novell).But after
months of trying to get support, both off the web and locally (Qld,
Aus.) we gave up and have gone for another Microsoft solution. Really
frustrating!
In our company, they are doing all this stuff with sharing documents and
such. Sharepoint, I think it is. Once you start the MS path with that,
you are pretty much committed. In a company of 8000 engineers, reworking
all that document integration is not likely to happen. Unless migration
is (1) automated, (2) bullet-proof, (3) feature comparable + extras to
warrant the move in the first place, (4) makes the bean counters happy.

Is there a supported Linux alternative to Sharepoint? I mean a complete
professional supported product. Not bits and pieces the average IT
department will never get working.

I think MS upped the ante and don't see Office or simple file sharing as
the way to lock in customers. It is their infrastructure products such
as Sharepoint that does the trick these days. These are much more
difficult to duplicate in an open source solution as they are
undocumented services. If you thought SMB was tricky to reverse
engineer...

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Office: Int +46 10-615 60 20
Mobile: Int +46 70-815 1696
roger.oberholtzer@xxxxxxxxxx

Ramböll Sverige AB
Krukmakargatan 21
P.O. Box 17009
SE-104 62 Stockholm, Sweden
www.rambollrst.se
Yes. There is the Novell Vibe OnPrem product, and its opensource version
Kablink.
--
Roger Luedecke
openSUSE Ambassador