Re: [opensuse] perl module install question
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 10:17:47 -0500
On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 9:34 AM, Dave Howorth <dhoworth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Greg Freemyer wrote:
I think the real issue is this line from the perl specfile:

Provides:       perl-IO-Zlib perl-IO-Compress-Base perl-IO-Compress-Zlib
Obsoletes:      perl-IO-Zlib perl-IO-Compress-Base perl-IO-Compress-Zlib

Note the absence of perl-IO-Compress.  I can branch perl in OBS and
add perl-IO-Compress easily enough, but I don't think I know enough
about perl to test it outside of the one package I'm testing that uses
it.

Greg,

I believe *you are in a pit. Please stop digging it deeper!*

IO::Zlib and IO::Compress::Base are core modules  since Perl 5.10.0.
They should be in the core perl package and indeed when I ask on an 11.2
system, YaST tells me IO::Zlib is part of the standard package 'perl'.

What happens if you just run the application?

So there should be absolutely no need to install these packages from a
separate source. Which suggests that the package hasn't been properly
prepared and perhaps similarly for whatever this application is. Have
they been updated since 11.1?

Cheers, Dave

Thanks Dave,

I'm trying to package up something new. The release notes I think
said it needed IO::Compress, so I possibly naively just put it in the
specfile as a Requires.

So I'm digging deep so I get it right. Then I will push it to factory
eventually.

Thanks
Greg