Re: Clinging to Microsoft (was Re: [opensuse] Why openSUSE is less popular than Ubuntu?)
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 13:21:50 +0100
On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 13:06, Anton Aylward <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Call me cynical but I've never had satisfactory support from ANY vendor
for any product even when I've paid for 'extended' or 'supplementary'
support.

Have you called MS support? Baffles me to no end that some companies
I've worked for insisted on MS support contract, but whenever the IT
guys called they either got zero help, or they were banned from
calling because of the per-call fee they had to pay on top of teh
support contract. The end result was the employees sorted out the
problems themselves (which is what they were being paid for anyway)
and the company paid MS or some 3rd party company for support
contracts that were never (or rarely ever) used.

The reality is... the same company could have implemented Linux,
supported it in exactly the same way (by hiring one or two skilled
Linux guys) and saved the astronomical costs of the support contracts
and software licenses.

With support groups like what we have here in openSUSE, or in the many
other Linux distros, you have a huge experience resource pool to draw
upon... in almost every case, someone somewhere knows the way around
the odd problems that crop up... and usually you find your solution
faster than you would with paid support.

problem, find its boundaries.  Check "all the usual suspects" and google
around a bit.

isn't that the usual way? :-)

C.