Re: Clinging to Microsoft (was Re: [opensuse] Why openSUSE is less popular than Ubuntu?)
On 07/12/11 22:06, Anton Aylward wrote:
John Bennett said the following on 12/07/2011 02:38 AM:
Or they just can't get the support from any "other than Windows" suppliers!
Call me cynical but I've never had satisfactory support from ANY vendor
for any product even when I've paid for 'extended' or 'supplementary'
support.

That goes not only for Microsoft but for IBM, DG and HP as well.
But then I tend to study the manuals and 'wolf fence' the problem BEFORE
calling support.

A lot of help desk work amounts to them working though a basic
fault-tree script and saying "gee that sounds strange, lets see what the
manuals say". BTDT taught that to my help desk staff. Most callers
don't seem to have read the manual.

But many of the contributors here are probably ahead of the 1st and
second level support at vendors, many of them up t the grade of the
vendor's developers.

There's also attitude: some of us try to diagnose and identify the
problem, find its boundaries. Check "all the usual suspects" and google
around a bit.

If you are like that then don't think about vendor support.
If you have a problem you can't solve its unlikely they can either.
Invest your money in a "sacrificial machine" instead. Experiment on that.

Yeah, sorry, could have explained it better...
We were trying to get support from 'someone' to "design" the initial system for us. Although I have quite a bit of experience with Linux, have very little (to none...) as far as setting up a "system" for a small to medium size business. This was the sort of support (ie including buying hardware and all relevant software) that we were after. Managed to get.... none!
John.