Re: Clinging to Microsoft (was Re: [opensuse] Why openSUSE is less popular than Ubuntu?)
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 12:26:29 +0100
On Wed, 2011-12-07 at 02:59 -0500, LinuxIsOne wrote:
On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 2:51 AM, Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx> wrote:

In our company, they are doing all this stuff with sharing documents and
such. Sharepoint, I think it is. Once you start the MS path with that,
you are pretty much committed. In a company of 8000 engineers, reworking
all that document integration is not likely to happen. Unless migration
is (1) automated, (2) bullet-proof, (3) feature comparable + extras to
warrant the move in the first place, (4) makes the bean counters happy.

Is there a supported Linux alternative to Sharepoint? I mean a complete
professional supported product. Not bits and pieces the average IT
department will never get working.

I think MS upped the ante and don't see Office or simple file sharing as
the way to lock in customers. It is their infrastructure products such
as Sharepoint that does the trick these days. These are much more
difficult to duplicate in an open source solution as they are
undocumented services. If you thought SMB was tricky to reverse
engineer...

You mean to say that MS is better?

Better than what? I was making an example of something that leads a
company to be strongly committed to MS. It used to be SMB storage. SAMBA
has pretty much dealt with that (minor warts aside). It used to be
proprietary document formats. LibreOffice is a viable alternative in
that area. Now it is information management services like Sharepoint
that attract customers. I do not think there is an open source
alternative. And, as more companies adopt Sharepoint (and it is a
popular MS offering), the desktops need Sharepoint compatibility. Only
MS Windows has that. Google Docs/Cloud/Mail/Calendar/etc is trying to be
a contender. I doubt that an open source offering of a third option will
take off. After all, SMB and Word were dealt with by open source being
compatible with them - not by offering an alternative that was
different.

The Linux users in my company are a rare breed. Happy. But rare.

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Office: Int +46 10-615 60 20