Re: [opensuse] Headless X-Server ?
On 12/6/2011 1:24 PM, John Andersen wrote:
On 12/6/2011 6:30 AM, zGreenfelder wrote:

What are you using as client?
In my case it's Windows so VNC is an easy option. When I connect from
outside the LAN I use a ssh tunnel so I expect to be fairly secure.
On the other hand VNC is rather crap in details like where is the cursor in
the text editor.

there are quite a few windows ssh clients; putty works well but if you
have admin authority and some extra space on the windows machine, it
might be worth your while to look at cygwin. it basically creates a
unix like environment under your windows instance. a little playing
and tweaking and you'll even have native X on windows, allowing you to
run applications from your headless machine but displayed on your
windows machine.

I do not believe Putty contains an X server. Its a pure ssh client.
If you want X, you have to add another application to your windows box.
Google will find several for you. Including Xming.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xming/

What else do you suppose he meant when he said you can install cygwin and use it's X server?

--
bkw