Re: [opensuse] Why openSUSE is less popular than Ubuntu?
On 12/6/2011 7:59 AM, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
On 06/12/11 12:37, LinuxIsOne wrote:
Hi,

I was just thinking that though openSUSE is more smooth and works
better and has more clean architecture than Ubuntu but still why
Ubuntu is more popular?

Thanks.

The answer to that question is pretty simple, canonical (the company behind
ubuntu) has invested more money in advertising and marketing
than in development or improving linux, hence has reached out more to the
masses.

True story:
Some years ago, I managed a small computer manufacturer (white box, if you
will).
One day I get a call from a very Euro sounding young woman, seemingly dutch,
asking for our street address.
I gave it, and asked why she needed it, and she said "we are sending you a
package".

Three weeks later, a badly battered surface mail box arrived from Europe, full
of
Ubuntu CD roms, for both the workstation and server editions, with a not saying
please offer these to your customers free of charge.

So we did. At first they didn't move. The highschool kids started showing up
asking for them. (This was in the days when many in those parts had dial up).

So there is some truth to this outreach and advertising idea.