Clinging to Microsoft (was Re: [opensuse] Why openSUSE is less popular than Ubuntu?)
On 12/06/2011 09:55 AM, Haro de Grauw wrote:
<snip>

After all, isn't that the only sensible explanation for a couple billion people still desperately clinging on to Microsoft Windows? :-D

H.
First, a smidgin of background. I come from 24+ years in the IT field. Where IBM had the perfect VM (Virtual Machine) environment where VM was the initial OS that the mainframe booted from. Within it, you could run, literally, any OS that ran the OS/360 instruction set. They had VM down to a science, so much so, I witnessed running VM - 6 - yes, 6 - levels deep - without a hitch. Although by the 6th level it was getting pretty slow. _Remember, all this was before, when the mainframe was slower than today's PC's and the mainframes had an average of 512M or less of real memory._

Linux still has not won over "the windows gamers" and, at this point, any other software
that "requires" windows.

Yes, I know there is WINE and others, BUT that is still running within an emulator (which
still is not "perfected").

And, yes, there is always "dual boot" BUT that just added an extra step in the
problem.

As for me, yes, at home, I run Linux (openSUSE) exclusively. However, I still require windows, because my piano tuning software will - not - run in "virtual" windows. The developer says that Linux does not have some sort of hardware "call" for what is needed by the software.

Along with, I only know about the US, the Tax Software. So why would many people add to their troubles by switching to Linux - then - having to add the "virtual" world - then - installing the Tax software.

My take on the solution - is windows will never go away until all "windows" software can
run "natively" within Linux.

That being said, then, more than likely, Linux will end up being susceptible to all the
"nasties" of Windows.

_Or, the emulation software becomes the primary OS (just like IBM's) and
everything else runs within it._

Duaine

--
Duaine Hechler