Re: [opensuse] Headless X-Server ?
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 15:55:15 +0100
On Tue, 2011-12-06 at 09:30 -0500, zGreenfelder wrote:

What are you using as client?
In my case it's Windows so VNC is an easy option. When I connect from
outside the LAN I use a ssh tunnel so I expect to be fairly secure.
On the other hand VNC is rather crap in details like where is the cursor in
the text editor.

there are quite a few windows ssh clients; putty works well but if you
have admin authority and some extra space on the windows machine, it
might be worth your while to look at cygwin. it basically creates a
unix like environment under your windows instance. a little playing
and tweaking and you'll even have native X on windows, allowing you to
run applications from your headless machine but displayed on your
windows machine.

I noticed on the openSUSE 12.1 install DVD, in dosutils/weirdx, lives an
X server for, presumably, Windows. Not sure what it is there for. Or how
one would use it. There are docs there for the curious.

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Office: Int +46 10-615 60 20