Re: [opensuse] How to partitioning in unallocated disk space
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 21:15:58 +0100
On Monday 05 December 2011 11:20:02 Lew Wolfgang wrote:
On 12/05/2011 10:42 AM, Anton Aylward wrote:
But "complexity". The Americans almost always complained about the
European signs. These signs are very consistent: the colour and the
shape tell you a lot. But except for direction signs they don't have
words. (Well, lets not get into arguments about Wales, OK?) so how can
the Americans know what they mean? They generally told me that European
signage was "too complex". What they meant was that it was "different".

This one resonates with me. There can be different paradigms on which
systems are built. Think of Windows and UNIX. But regarding street signs,
take one-way street signs. Back in the day the sign consisted of a big
arrow pointing in the direction of traffic flow. It was a "do this" kind
of a thing. But some decades ago the US adopted "International" signage
in which an arrow pointed opposite the direction of traffic with a circle
and a line through the arrow. This is a "don't do this" kind of a thing.
For years my mind was geared on the "do this" signage and it took conscious
effort to think in the "don't do this" paradigm.

Can you show an example of this, because googling shows no examples at all of
what you are talking about

These are the "one way traffic" signs I can find for the US

http://www.trafficsign.us/r6.html

As for international signs, having travelled in several countries I have never
seen a sign like what you describe. "One way traffic" is an arrow pointing in
the direction of travel, and at the start of the street in the wrong
direction, there is a red circle with a yellow line denoting "motor traffic
prohibited"

Anders