Re: [opensuse] How to partitioning in unallocated disk space
On 12/05/2011 10:42 AM, Anton Aylward wrote:
But "complexity". The Americans almost always complained about the
European signs. These signs are very consistent: the colour and the
shape tell you a lot. But except for direction signs they don't have
words. (Well, lets not get into arguments about Wales, OK?) so how can
the Americans know what they mean? They generally told me that European
signage was "too complex". What they meant was that it was "different".

This one resonates with me. There can be different paradigms on which
systems are built. Think of Windows and UNIX. But regarding street signs,
take one-way street signs. Back in the day the sign consisted of a big
arrow pointing in the direction of traffic flow. It was a "do this" kind
of a thing. But some decades ago the US adopted "International" signage
in which an arrow pointed opposite the direction of traffic with a circle
and a line through the arrow. This is a "don't do this" kind of a thing.
For years my mind was geared on the "do this" signage and it took conscious
effort to think in the "don't do this" paradigm.

This could lead to a broader discussion of US/European differences but
I don't think we need to go there. :-)

Regards,
Lew