Re: [opensuse] Re: SSD in openSUSE.
On Wed, 2011-11-30 at 10:59 -0500, Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 10:44 AM, Adam Tauno Williams
<awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 2011-11-30 at 15:01 +0000, Dave Howorth wrote:
Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
As we were managing a large set of data we made 2 working copies and a
backup copy on 3 different drives from that set.
All 3 failed within 48 hours of each other. (don't ask me why).

I've had the same experience - but my point is: those aren't "spares".
If you use them they aren't "spares".

The same also happened to people with raid arrays at that time.
Suddenly the advice on the mdraid list was to mix and match
manufacturers in an array to reduce the likelihood of simultaneous
failure.

That has long been the advice for building RAID arrays. At least
purchase drives from different suppliers [and hope they don't drop ship
them from the same place].

But manufacturer defect isn't really the same as failure-due-to-usage as
is being discussed here in relation to SSDs. A reasonable burn-in of
all parts, including spares, is a good idea if you really don't want to
end up in a corner.