Re: [opensuse] Re: SSD in openSUSE.
On Wed, 2011-11-30 at 15:01 +0000, Dave Howorth wrote:
Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
I'm not sure about "longer life expectancy than your reg hard drive";
but in any case it doesn't matter. The best thing to do is always: have
a spare. It doesn't matter what it is; it your concerned enough about
it [because, I presume, you depend on it] to crawl around the Internet
to verify your configuration
Absolutely agree with all of this.
.... buy two [and at only twice the price!
But not with this little bit. At least with regular disks - I can't
speak for SSDs. But buying two together increases your chances of them
sharing a common batch fault and both failing at very near the same
time. I generally try to buy from different manufacturers, or at
different times.

False. They cannot fail at the "same time'; that isn't possible. You
purchased the second as a *SPARE*. You don't use a *SPARE* until you
need it [the first one fails]. Once you are using it then it isn't a
spare. Maybe they will both fail after six months of use - but that is
a year, not six months. And you have six months to buy your new spare
after your first one failed.