Re: [opensuse] Re: SSD in openSUSE.
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 16:12:20 +0100
On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 15:51, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
SSDs do NOT have a reputation for long life.  Per word of mouth, they
fail early and have EB (erase block) failures that causes partial data
loss.

(I have NOT seen studies to back that up, it's just anecdotal.)

Has anyone asked the question... what is failing when they die? Is it
that they exhaust their write cycles early? or they die from other
causes? I don't question that there are reports of the early demise
of SSDs (there definitely are) , but I do question if they die from
write exhaustion.

Take this blog entry for example:
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2011/05/the-hot-crazy-solid-state-drive-scale.html
where it recounts the horror of one user with multiple SSDs dying in
well under one year of use. I really doubt he managed to hit the
write cycle ceiling - which is what this discussion here has been
primarily focused on - when any one of those drives died.

I suggest for the typical desktop/laptop user, the least of your
concerns should be exceeding max. rated lifetime of writes.  General
lifetime is more important.

So while they are extremely fast, I don't consider them as reliable as
rotating disk at this point.

Very valid point :-)

C.