Re: [opensuse] Re: SSD in openSUSE.
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 14:00:36 +0100
On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 13:39, Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx> wrote:
I feel I should summarize the info in the responses to this question.
Unfortunately, there were more questions asked than answers found.

Perhaps we can wait and see what Joachim's buddies have to say, if it
can be repeated? And then try to summarize from that?

I've been trying to do more digging on this.. came across this on
SlashDot today:

http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/11/11/30/0344252/is-the-time-finally-right-for-hybrid-hard-drives

Lots of discussion about the lifetime of SSDs etc. Maybe something
can be extracted/digested.

Most people link back to one or two "authoritative" articles on SSDs
and lifetime... but in the end it really seems to all be anecdotal,
and no one really knows 100% for sure other than that so far lifetime
seems to be a non-issue outside of the thrashing SSDs can get in a
datacentre (ie it still seems that for home use, it's a case of don't
worry about it, a current/new SSD has a longer life expectancy than
your reg hard drive without any taking precautions for reducing write
cycles).

C.