Re: [opensuse] Missing warning about use of btrfs in release notes
  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 13:18:29 +0100
On Tuesday, November 29, 2011 13:10:54 Martin Helm wrote:
Am 29.11.2011 12:57, schrieb Andreas Jaeger:
Martin, the release notes are available during installation as
well - and those cannot be updated. Btw. I don't consider the
filesystem as experimental any more - but yes, it's not as mature
as others, Andreas
I know that these cannot be updated. But what is available on the web.
It is just my wording that I call it experimental as long as the
btrfs wiki states

"Note that Btrfs does not yet have a fsck tool that can fix errors.
While Btrfs is stable on a stable machine, it is currently possible to
corrupt a filesystem irrecoverably if your machine crashes or loses
power on disks that don't handle flush requests correctly. This will
be fixed when the fsck tool is ready."

I used it myself during the RC's for one week under real life
conditions on my notebook to check its performance and features (very
pleasing experience) at the end of my tests I tried to destroy it by
removing the battery and then repeatedly unplug the power supply, the
third time I did that I was able to bring it into a state were it
could no longer recover.

So let's not discuss too much about if experimental is the right word,
it is just my personal point of view nothing else.
I just want to avoid that we have a flood of inexperienced users on
the forum breaking their home machines and seek for solutions, there
are more than enough were the problem is not the file system. I hope
you understand that and I am well aware that too many users do not
read any documentation, do not read release notes and also do not
make backups and this kind of users we can anyway not help much.

Yes, I fully understand this, just the "experimental" is a word I
wouldn't have choosen. Let me try to come up with another version in
bugzilla,

Andreas