[opensuse] Re: SUSE 12.1 - still "hdd killer bug"? Can't believe it.
  • From: "Juan R. de Silva" <juan.r.d.silva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 04:09:27 +0000 (UTC)
On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 22:26:57 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

On Sun, 2011-11-27 at 18:27 -0800, Roger Luedecke wrote:
On Sunday, November 27, 2011 10:56:12 PM Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
On 27/11/11 22:48, Juan R. de Silva wrote:
On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 22:06:58 -0300, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
On 27/11/11 19:03, Juan R. de Silva wrote:
Folks, what's wrong with me? :-)
You dont have storage-fixup installed.
It very well might be that I do not have it installed, since I've
never heard of it. I'll give it a try. Is it in any official repos
or I would need to enable something else. If I need a third party
repo, what would it be?
It is in the official repos.
Would I need to run any scripts after installation, or the install
will do all that is necessary?
No, it executes on boot.
But then why this is not installed automatically if needed?
Not posse to determine automatically currently, this may not even
know about your hardisk, last update was done 3 years ago.
Does this only affect certain harsware, or is it a problem for all HDD?

It only affects junk hardware. And calling it a "hdd killer" is
extreme; it shortens the lifespan of some hardware, it doesn't "kill"
it.

Well, you really must love your favorite distro to make such funny
statements in its defence.

Yes, I only have a modest WD SATA hdd nothing really fancy. :-))) But
calling it a junk hardware is a little exageration, isn't it?

I just wonder what do you use in your heavens, Master? :-)

What's to "it shortens the lifespan of some hardware, it doesn't "kill"
it". Well IMHO it is just a nice euphemism for killing hardware ahead of
time.

Considering that my hdd cycled 22 times in 15 minutes (over 1 time per
minute!) and after fix applied did not cycle even one time for about 2
hours for now, it was destined to die much way ahead of time without that
fix.

Or if you prefer your euphemism, it was destined to get its lifespan
shortened very very very much.

This is what I would call "extreme".

No offence, I hope.