Re: [opensuse] Regarding development questions.
Am 27.11.2011 19:25, schrieb David Haller:
Hello,

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011, Brendon Caligari wrote:
On Sun, 27 Nov 2011, Roger Luedecke wrote:
I have some books. I am not proficient though. One doesn't become
proficient by reading. I am versed in C and C++, but haven't had
cause to program much of anything 'real', just the examples and
exercises in the books.
I think opensuse-programming still is worth asking on.

In way of a good read I found Robert Love's "Linux Systems Programming"
to be a great with getting one's head around coding on Linux.
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596009588.do
There also is "the Stevens", for a reference price and some
details see e.g.:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0321525949/
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0201433079/
for a broader view (replace .com with e.g. .co.uk, .nl or use the ISBN
to shop at your preferred [local] bookstore [around the corner] ;)

-dnh

Being myself a programmer in my real life, may I add my personal favorite

The Linux Programming Interface
A Linux and UNIX System Programming Handbook
Michael Kerrisk
2010

not cheap and not too easy but accurate, comprehensive and worth its price.

An easier and free introductory book can be downloaded here

http://www.advancedlinuxprogramming.com/alp-folder/