Re: [opensuse] Bizarre sound issue with Creative Labs SB0400 Audigy2 Value using IEC958 Digital Stereo
  • From: Roger Luedecke <roger.luedecke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 18:16:34 -0800
On Thursday, November 24, 2011 12:50:54 PM Basil Chupin wrote:
On 24/11/11 12:18, Roger Luedecke wrote:
It was working perfectly, better than in 11.4 which was still glitchy
and
suddenly its acting worse than before. I made a forum post, but am out
of
ideas for finding out how to debug it. The link will show you what the
issue is and what I have done so far. http://goo.gl/Iut0B

In 11.4 you could get rid of pulseaudio but in 12.1 you can either not
install it when installing 12.1 or you can delete it in YaST. But even
if doing either you ought to go into YaST>Sound and unselect Pulseaudio
in the Other options (bottom right-hand) - at leas this is what *I* do.

Now....

I think what you should do is to get rid of pulseaudio and install
alsamixer and the gui for it. Then have some running which uses the
sound card and run 'alsamixergui' and play around with the
sliders/muting until you find out which of the settings is doing the
wrong thing. For example, I was getting some terrible din from my Audigy
because for some reason the IEEE-something channel was active.

BTW, if you cannot run the graphic UI for alsa you could run 'alsamixer'
in a terminal.

BC
Well, it was working perfectly... better than ever. Then suddenly its teh sux.
I would rather fix it, especially since that gives me info for a bug report.
In 11.4 I tried disabling it with YaST and it didn't seem to make an ounce of
difference except that it screwed up sound for a number of applications.

--
Roger Luedecke
openSUSE Ambassador