Re: [opensuse] should i use kmail or thunderbird?
David C. Rankin said the following on 11/23/2011 02:20 PM:
If there is any chance you will use windows again, use Thunderbird, you can
easily transfer your mail setup from Linux -> Win -> Linux with mozilla. You
can
do it in a round-about way with kmail, but with the current state of flux in
kmail development, it would be wise to stick with mozilla for now.

I made the decision a while ago to have a machine acting as a mail
gateway/hub 'at home', much the way that corporation have a Microsoft
Exchange server handling the mail for a department or site.

And yes, David, I can run other collaborative tools on it :-)

That hub has a Dovecot server that handles email. All email stays on
the server and I read it via IMAP. At home I read it via IMAP on the
home LAN; outside I read it via an encrypted version of IMAP using TLS
etc etc etc.

As such it really doesn't matter what mail reader I use or what machine
I use it from.

My complaint with Mail is that nepomuk indexes the mail if I use Kmail.
WHY?!? Dovecot has already indexed it! I can tell Dovecot to search.

So I disable nepomuk.

The thing about Thunderbird is that if you want something fancy its
available as a plugin. Many of the plugins are useful and would be
useful for Kmail. Of course if you don't want them you don't install
them :-) Sadly the code to use nepomuk is not a plugin and you are
stuck with it. If you install Kmail you have to install nepomuk even if
you won't use it.

If I was a programmer I'd set up a OBS of KDE4-without-nepomuk.

The be fair, that not the only thing that should be done with a plugin
but isn't. The settings in /etc/nsswitch determine things like
UID->name mapping. There is a library call for this: getpwent().
See 'man nsswitch.conf'
Now why is this no implemented as a plugin?
Why must getpwent() and its relatives have all the various nsswitch
options HARD CODED in? As a result you HAVE to load all the LDAP and
NIS even if you don't use them

Ironically the man age for nsswitch says:

"With Solaris, it isn't possible to link programs using the NSS
Service statically. With Linux, this is no problem."

Yes, its not statically compiled, but it is statically bound.

--
All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is
to discover them.