Re: [opensuse] Re: SSD in openSUSE.
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 11:02:14 -0500
On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 9:44 PM, Adam Tauno Williams
<awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 2011-11-22 at 17:54 -0800, Roger Luedecke wrote:
What would be a good filesystem catering to SSD strenghts and weaknesses? A
friend of mine swears by XFS

XFS certainly had it's day.  But today I'd use BTRFS.  It has features
XFS hasn't even thought about, is rapidly becoming the 'default'
filesystem, and ....drumroll... has automatic SSD mode [bulk trim added
in 2.6.39 - May 2011].  Mount with the "ssd" option although btrfs will
likely set this automatically.

XFS is still very actively maintained. It often gets features like
SSD support before any of the other filesystems.

ext3 is basically in maintenance only mode.

ext4 is actively support, but not yet as mature / stable / feature
rich as XFS. Google uses ext4 heavily, but in a configuration that is
pretty unique, so much of there dev work is not meaningful for
traditional users. (ie. They run without a journal I think. I
suspect other application specific tuning also goes on.)

btrfs - Is just coming out of experimental status. With the 3.0
kernel it still failed some of the traditional xfstests tests. (That
test suite now handles lots of Linux filesystems.) os 12.1 uses the
3.1 kernel. I believe it fixes some of the last of the xfstests
identified issues. It may be ready to try for real at this point.

Greg