Re: [opensuse] Re: SSD in openSUSE.
On Tue, 2011-11-22 at 18:50 -0800, Roger Luedecke wrote:
On Tuesday, November 22, 2011 09:44:01 PM Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Tue, 2011-11-22 at 17:54 -0800, Roger Luedecke wrote:
What would be a good filesystem catering to SSD strenghts and
weaknesses? A friend of mine swears by XFS
XFS certainly had it's day. But today I'd use BTRFS. It has features
XFS hasn't even thought about, is rapidly becoming the 'default'
filesystem, and ....drumroll... has automatic SSD mode [bulk trim added
in 2.6.39 - May 2011]. Mount with the "ssd" option although btrfs will
likely set this automatically.
However btrfs has a number of performance drawbacks. Does it perform better
on
an SSD than another FS would?

What drawbacks?

<http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_2639_fs>

This looks either neck-and-neck or a win to me. And in any case, if I
have to pay a small price for snapshots, checksums, LVM-in-the-FS,
RAID-in-the-FS, compression, and subvolumes.... no problem; that is a
win, hands down.

Experience a filesystem on a flaky drive [or a flaky SAN] and you'll be
willing to pay a *hefty* price for checksums. Storage devices,
especially as volumes soar, can *NOT* be trusted.