[opensuse] openSUSE 12.1 is not a major release
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 23:43:30 +0100
Dennis Gallien wrote:

But no matter what the resources or processes, nor how long the
schedule, there will always be issues with any new major release.

Perhaps, but openSUSE 12.1 is not a major release. We don't have any
such major/minor planning, 12.1 is a largely arbitrary number.

My frame of reference is having worked in both the lab and as a field
engineer at one of the largest hardware manufacturers (who btw write
much more sw than MS). It was our policy to discourage customers from
immediately upgrading to a new release unless it contained a feature
or fix which was truly imperative to their business. This policy was
the same at our major competitors. Sometimes we preferred to backport
a patch (if feasible) rather than compel an upgrade.

I completely understand your frame of reference, but it simply does not
apply here.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (4.0°C)