Re: [opensuse] Re: GNOME Shell spins at 99% of CPU
On Tue, 2011-11-22 at 07:50 -0600, Malcolm wrote:
On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 08:37:40 -0500
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Occasionally when I login to my new openSUSE 12.1 install GNOME Shell
just spins at 99-100% of CPU. I can Ctrl-Alt-F1 to a console and run
top and see it. But the X/GNOME session is entirely unresponsive.
Sometimes the top GNOME Shell bar appears and other times it does not;
in either case I can move the pointer but clicking or keystroking is
unresponsive - except Ctrl-Alt-ing to another console.
I can look at ~/.xsession and there are no error messages appearing.
Is there anywhere else I can look to see what GNOME Shell is stuck on?
If I just reboot I can login in; this issue seems to happen about 1
in 4 times. So a couple of reboots and I'm in and everything works
perfectly.
I've found htop is a better indicator for memory/process issues. Wonder
if it's tracker running, indexing files?

Tracker is indeed running, and working fine. Tracker is always running.

That isn't GNOME Shell. It is clearly the GNOME Shell process that is
spinning.