Re: [opensuse] openSuse 12.1 - observations upon gnome3 and systemd
On 11/19/2011 08:04 PM, Moby wrote:
I am in the process of upgrading my oss machines from oss 11.4 to 12.1.
Here are some comments that may help some others who run into issues
similar to mine, and perhaps prompt some others to reply back with
solutions.

1) systemd and loss of network: After upgrading, the machine would not
start the network. ifconfig showed just lo. Interfaces all showed up
fine and configured in Yast2. Doing a manual restart of the network
(/etc/init.d.network restart) would produce a message stating
"redirecting to systemd" and still no network. Manually bringing up
interfaces with ifup (machine has 2 interfaces), would bring up
interfaces, but doing a network restart (either via systemd or via
/etc/init.d/network restart) would again take the network down.
Reverting to sysV and dumping systemd (zypper in sysvinit-init) "fixed"
the problem. This machine is a VM on top of vSphere 4,1, interfaces are
vmxnet3 (2 interfaces), and interfaces are configured with static ips.
Another machine I had upgraded to oss12.1 was physical with dhcp
configured interfaces and that one works fine with systemd. For now, I
am going to revert all machines to sysV.

Please report the bug you have with SystemD so that it can get fixed in our bugzilla, for details see http://bugs.opensuse.org

2) gnome3: Upgrading to oss12.1 with gnome3 made gnome3 always fall back
to gnome3's "fallback" mode when accessed via FreeNX. Same results when
accessed via VNC. This machine is only used remotely. It worked fine
with FreeNX and gnome2 for years. Gnome3's fallback mode is useless.
KDE4 worked fine both via vnx and FreeNX, as did xfce. I left the
machine with xfce.

Gnome3 right now needs the 3D graphics,

Andreas