Re: [opensuse] Recommendations for a server?
On Sunday, November 20, 2011 03:10 PM John Andersen wrote:
On 11/20/2011 1:00 AM, Andreas wrote:

[snip]

My comments presume you're considering building rather than buying (since e.g.
you ask about recommended disk drives; oem machines don't specify such).

Any onboard video solution will do because you probably won't use it much,
it doesn't need to do anything other than run text mode in reality.

Agreed. Just note that there have been many driver issues with integrated on-
board graphics drivers, especially Intel. I've found the very inexpensive
nvidia older chip add-on cards to be worth the few extra bucks (or euros).

[snip]

As for CPUs and cores, I suspect 4 cores is overkill but hard to avoid in
these days, and dirt cheap. No reason to go with any cutting edge chipsets
here.

I recommend a dual-core AMD, very inexpensive, great value, and more than
adequate. A 65w CPU draws less power and is much cooler. While a newer
chipset is unnecessary, Socket AM3 is important for investment protection.

Re hard disks: While some manufacturers in general have better quality than
others, the particular model is more important. E.g., WD has good overall
quality but its early green drives had very mixed results. I just added a
highly-rated Samsung to my server which while having fewer RPM's uses new
platter technology and consequently performs on par to faster drives but is
much cooler. With disks it really pays to read the reviews.

My two cents.