Re: [opensuse] Recommendations for a server?
On 11/20/2011 1:00 AM, Andreas wrote:
Hi,
I need some basic recommendations for a server.
It won't be cutting edge. As of now I run a postgresql and a wee bit of
internal web-serving for 30 people on an average PC. Mainly it hosts
the database.

I'm aiming a bit higher now like more than 4GB and a quadcore cpu or
something like that. WOW ;)

Is there anything to avoid with the new Suse?
Any issue with certain mainboards, chipsets or CPUs like i7 or the newer AMDs?
The performance of the graphics chip is not really important. An onboard
solution would do. Which makes the least problems right now, AMD or
Nvidia?

Are there recommendable harddisks?
Currently I've got two 250GB pieces as softraid1 and thats plenty of
capacity. I'd like to get the fastest for an affordable price, though.

Is there an UPS that works smoothly with Suse so it can shutdown the server
when it needs to?

For servers just get good nics and good hard drives and good cooling.
One or two hot spares for your raid won't hurt. Consider bigger drives.
Even if you don't currently need them.

Dual independent power supplies are nice, because they do fail sometimes.
Any of the mainstream UPS seem to have solutions that work on Linux.
http://linux.die.net/man/8/upsmon
http://www.apcupsd.org/
http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/netsysm/article.php/10954_3295841_2/Graceful-UPS-Shutdowns-on-Linux.htm

Any onboard video solution will do because you probably won't use it much,
it doesn't need to do anything other than run text mode in reality.
Once you get the OS installed and ssh up there is really little reason to touch
the server physically.

Enough memory is probably less than you might expect unless that postgresgl is
huge,
or you decide to run virtual machines on the server. Then, 6 might not be
enough.
just don't let them populate all slots in case your workload changes.

As for CPUs and cores, I suspect 4 cores is overkill but hard to avoid in these
days,
and dirt cheap. No reason to go with any cutting edge chipsets here.

I never spec servers as high end machines in terms of processing power.
The do almost no work.