Re: [opensuse] nVidia on 12.1 / Cannot start X [still not working]
Quoting Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxx>:
On Saturday 19 November 2011 20:40:42 Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
Quoting Roger Luedecke <roger.luedecke@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> Third party repos should be removed/disabled for a system upgrade
>> because we cannot and should not support them.
> In the scenario of a zypper dup, no. ALL old repositories should be
> removed or disabled
I did not use zypper dup.
I (a) disabled all third party repositories (b) booted from an instal
DVD (c) performed the upgrad
I have now installed just the G02 packag
"the package"? There are two, and you need them both.
nvidia-gfxG02-kmp-<kernel flavour> and x11-video-nvidiaG0
Make sure you reinstalled them both and removed the corresponding G01
package
, removed /etc/X11/xorg.conf,
reran nvidia-xconfi
Don't. Just leave xorg.conf off the system. In 99.9% of cases, it's not needed
anymore

Okay, reinstalled the x11-video-nvidiaG02 [ which automatically pulls the other package ]. Removed xorg.conf. Made use the nouvea package was no longer installed. Rebooted.

And I end up at a tortured GNOME greeter without working keyboard or pointer. And I had the box set to runlevel 3 - it seems the *(&!@&*($^&*(@ greeter starts anyway. Since the keyboard no longer works all I can do is boot into single user mode,

Aside - on initial boot I do see a "/etc/sysconfig/network/scripts/ifup-sysctl lo -o hotplug": No such file or directory.

I then removed [again!] all the nvidia packages, reinstalled ./suse/x86_64/xorg-x11-driver-video-nouveau-0.0.16_20110720_b806e3f-2.1.2.x86_64.rpm from the DVD.

Rebooted. At least X doesn't start. :( And doing a startx just claims "No devices detected."

This is a mess.