Re: [opensuse] Tmpfs showing in partitioner, what the heck are these?
Roger Luedecke said the following on 11/14/2011 08:48 PM:

What are those things? I have never seen those before. Did my install go
really bad? I don't have enough ram for those to be ram-disks. Is this
something needed by systemd?

Yes, and no.
The ramfs existed in 11.4 if you chose to use it.
It provided a marginal improvement in performance in some circumstances.

If not needed then it gets swapped out :-)
RTFM MOUNT(8) and google for many interesting articles

My 11.4 system has

grep tmpfs /etc/fstab
varrun /var/run tmpfs rw,nosuid,mode=0755,size=150K 0 0
varlock /var/lock tmpfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777,size=20K 0 0
vartmp /var/tmp tmpfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777,size=1G 0 0

Does it make a difference? Yes. There are many things for which /tmp
is a quick scratchpad and having it as a memory -- LRU -- makes a
difference. If you use /tmp to accumulate piles of stuff 'that you'll
get round to someday', then NO!

Handling of locks for short-lived programs, yes.

YMMV, quite wildly!
--
The common argument that crime is caused by poverty is a kind of
slander on the poor.