Re: [opensuse] startproc in rc scripts
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 10:03:54 +0100
On Wed, 2011-11-09 at 08:35 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

In my case, I need the vblade server to make disk
images available on more than one ethernet interface. The docs imply
that the ethernet device given must be like 'eth0'.

I've just looked up what your vblades are for - AoE, right? YOu've
probably got a reason for needing AoE, so this might not help you much,
apologies in advance, but with iSCSI you'd only have one target-daemon.

I use KIWI to make diskless versions of openSUSE. In our system, these
run in diskless computers that boot via PXE. Having booted, they need a
root file system. In fact, all diskless systems share the same root file
on the boot server, which is provided via vblade. They do not modify
this root image. All changes are in RAM on the diskless machine, When
they reboot all is fresh.

We use these systems to do things like manage special hardware (VME-bus
access, JPEG2000 hardware compression cards, etc.). It is really great
not having to install an operating system on these slave systems. Add
the proper entry to dhcpd.conf and you have a new data collection
computer. As all this is in a vehicle on the road, worries about power
loss are not an issue with these systems. We do have a proper UPS that
makes powerloss unlikely.

Each instance of vblade will serve an image to any number of clients on
a single ethernet interface. If there are clients on more than one
interface, you need more than one vblade instance.

All this works surprisingly well.

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST