Re: [opensuse] What happened? - now I have an extra hard drive
On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 16:46:18 +1100
Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 05/11/11 17:30, Carl Hartung wrote:
On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 17:14:10 +1100
Basil Chupin<blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have my home directory encrypted.

A couple of hours ago I did an update of my installation (11.4,
32-bit, KDE) which included an update to the kernel and what-ever
and now suddenly my encrypted home directory shows up(in the
taskbar) as a separate, mounted, device. Also, it shows up in
Dolphin twice: as a 362GB Encrypted Container and again as a 362GB
Hard Drive.

Is this something which was an intended result of the updates or is
it something which has gone awry? Anyone know?

BC

Hi Basil,

If "I did an update" describes a normal, plain vanilla, 'online
update' to fetch and install security& bug patches, did you
remember to restart the system after the kernel update?

Hi Carl,

Thanks for your response.

You're welcome!

I rather expected an answer from someone which stated, "Yes, this is
a new way it will be done in the future". Or "Ooops, not the intended
result of [my/our] fiddling with what worked perfectly for
years" :-) .

Did you get a response other than mine? I don't recall seeing one.

Having my encrypted home partition showing up as a separate device
does not worry me as the system is still working correctly and
without any crashes.

So your problem is 'fixed' in the sense that it's functioning properly?
That's good! It's just presented differently in the UI than it had been,
previously?

If "I did an update" describes an effective change of distribution
from the stock 11.4 + normal updates to something different, like
Tumbleweed or Trinity, etc., that's another matter, entirely, and
only you can answer your question in the subject line, "What
happened?" :-)

Hmmmm, your reference here to Tumbleweed does not bode well for
Tumbleweed..... Are you saying that all the effort being put into
Tumbleweed is a waste of time because if one uses it for what it is
intended, as I understand its intention to be, then "all bets are
off", as they say in the moving pictures, and anyone using Tumbleweed
will be ignored when they mention a problem?

I made no assertions concerning Tumbleweed; merely pulled the name from
thin air as part of a separate line of questioning: What 'flavor' of
oS were you running /before/ you applied the updates, and, what were
the specific updates that you applied? I guess these questions were the
central point of my response. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

And you neglected to mention which KDE version.

regards,

Carl

I am using, and have been for many weeks, 11.4 with kernel (when I
wrote my question, just updated to) 3.1.0 and KDE (also updated at
that same time to) 4.7.3[.x].

BC

So, in the end, you acknowledge that you are /not/ running a 'stock'
or 'standard' openSUSE 11.4 installation, which questions are
appropriate for this list. Instead, you are experimenting with kernel
3.1.0 on 11.4... Why not ask at <http://forums.opensuse.org/english/> or
on opensuse-factory?

regards,

Carl