Re: [opensuse] startproc in rc scripts
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2011 10:03:42 +0100
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

On Tue, 2011-11-08 at 08:31 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:

Curious. Why would this work? I will of course try it. But I would
like to know what is different between running a script and the
program direct.

It works because the name of executable changes when the script
does 'exec'.

Perhaps I need something stronger than my morning coffee today. If the
script name is the same, why would the name of the executable be
different?

Careful with the stronger stuff, Roger - you usually regret it later :-)
When the script does 'exec', the executable is replaced.

Will it 'status' and 'stop' commands to the rc script
also work?

Depends on the script :-) If it uses killproc, it probably won't do
what you expect, no. Basically, startproc/killproc were meant to
manage single instances, not multiple.

Seems that is true. Seems a bit of an oversight, IMHO.

Yes, possibly it is.

The assumption is that any service started will always work as a
single instance of the executable.
In my case, I need the vblade server to make disk images available on
more than one ethernet interface. The docs imply that the ethernet
device given must be like 'eth0'. I do not see syntax for a list of
interfaces, or even a wildcard like 'all' or 'any'. Multiple server
instances are required for this. Of course, I do not have to use
startproc. But as it handles tracking and killing the programs it
strarts, it seemed like a good choice.

Completely agree, but that exceeds the capability of startproc. Maybe
look at how multiple mysql or postfix instance are being run. With
postfix, startproc isn't used, the instances are started and stopped
with "postfix -c <config>".

In your case, as you're keen on using startproc, maybe you need to write
some wrapper-scripts that are uniquely named (runvblade0, runvblade1
etc). Alternatively, without startproc, write a utility for managing
your vblade instances.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (9.4°C)