Re: [opensuse] startproc in rc scripts
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2011 09:01:09 +0100
On Tue, 2011-11-08 at 08:31 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:

Curious. Why would this work? I will of course try it. But I would
like to know what is different between running a script and the
program direct.

It works because the name of executable changes when the script
does 'exec'.

Perhaps I need something stronger than my morning coffee today. If the
script name is the same, why would the name of the executable be
different?

Will it 'status' and 'stop' commands to the rc script
also work?

Depends on the script :-) If it uses killproc, it probably won't do
what you expect, no. Basically, startproc/killproc were meant to
manage single instances, not multiple.

Seems that is true. Seems a bit of an oversight, IMHO. The assumption is
that any service started will always work as a single instance of the
executable. In my case, I need the vblade server to make disk images
available on more than one ethernet interface. The docs imply that the
ethernet device given must be like 'eth0'. I do not see syntax for a
list of interfaces, or even a wildcard like 'all' or 'any'. Multiple
server instances are required for this. Of course, I do not have to use
startproc. But as it handles tracking and killing the programs it
strarts, it seemed like a good choice.

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST