Re: [opensuse] What happened? - now I have an extra hard drive
On 05/11/11 17:30, Carl Hartung wrote:
On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 17:14:10 +1100
Basil Chupin<blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have my home directory encrypted.

A couple of hours ago I did an update of my installation (11.4,
32-bit, KDE) which included an update to the kernel and what-ever and
now suddenly my encrypted home directory shows up(in the taskbar) as
a separate, mounted, device. Also, it shows up in Dolphin twice: as a
362GB Encrypted Container and again as a 362GB Hard Drive.

Is this something which was an intended result of the updates or is
it something which has gone awry? Anyone know?

BC

Hi Basil,

If "I did an update" describes a normal, plain vanilla, 'online
update' to fetch and install security& bug patches, did you remember to
restart the system after the kernel update?

Hi Carl,

Thanks for your response.

I rather expected an answer from someone which stated, "Yes, this is a new way it will be done in the future". Or "Ooops, not the intended result of [my/our] fiddling with what worked perfectly for years" :-) .

Having my encrypted home partition showing up as a separate device does not worry me as the system is still working correctly and without any crashes.

If "I did an update" describes an effective change of distribution from
the stock 11.4 + normal updates to something different, like Tumbleweed
or Trinity, etc., that's another matter, entirely, and only you can
answer your question in the subject line, "What happened?" :-)

Hmmmm, your reference here to Tumbleweed does not bode well for Tumbleweed..... Are you saying that all the effort being put into Tumbleweed is a waste of time because if one uses it for what it is intended, as I understand its intention to be, then "all bets are off", as they say in the moving pictures, and anyone using Tumbleweed will be ignored when they mention a problem?

And you neglected to mention which KDE version.

regards,

Carl

I am using, and have been for many weeks, 11.4 with kernel (when I wrote my question, just updated to) 3.1.0 and KDE (also updated at that same time to) 4.7.3[.x].

BC

--
The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it,
but in the end, there it is.