Re: [opensuse] Metasend
On Sun, 2011-11-06 at 01:01 +1030, Rodney Baker wrote:
On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 23:59:16 Mark Misulich wrote:

What you have is a fragment of a script - this is not a complete shell
script.
I'd suggest you read a) the metasend man page, to understand what the above
fragment is doing, and b) a tuturial on shell scripting for your preferred
shell (be it bash, zsh, csh or whatever) or get to know something like python
or ruby (either of which I'm pretty sure could handle this easily).

The ${XXXX} are names of variables that you have to define at the beginning
of
the script. For example:

DEST="some-recipient@some-server.domain"
SUBJECT="Monthly Newsletter"
FROM="you@xxxxxxxx.domain"
TEXTFILE="/path/to/textfile"
PDFFILE="/path/to/pdffile"

You could hard code these in the script, or you could pass them as command-
line parameters. I suggest you consult a tutorial on scripting for your
specific shell (bash, csh, zsh etc.) to see how to do this.

This of course assumes that the script is being called once for each email
address on the list. An easier way would be to source a file with a list of
all the email addresses, then parse that file one line at a time in a
conditional loop until you reach EOF, updating DEST and re-running the above
fragment until the last email has been sent.

Shell scripting isn't that hard once you've played with it a few times. There
are plenty of good online resources that google will turn up for you but some
are better than others - YMMV.

HTH,
Rodney.

Rodney Baker VK5ZTV
rodney.baker@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,
thanks for the helpful reply. I can't make any pretense about knowing
anything about shell scripting, but this got me pointed in the right
direction to learn it.

Mark