Re: [opensuse] wlan will not initialize
  • From: George Olson <grglsn765@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 11:26:39 +0800
On 11/06/2011 07:28 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:

George, I use the traditional method by default. In yast -> Network
Settings, I do the following:

Global Options: [x] Traditional Method with ifup

Overview: (select your wireless adapter and click 'Edit')

General: Activate device -> At Boot Time
Address: DHCP (both 4 & 6)
Hardware: Module Name (Make sure you select your 'iwlagn' or proper module)

Ok, I checked all those settings and they are the same. I had actually
had DHCP only running on 4 (because 6 was slowing down my network
before, not being available in my location), but I put it on 4 and 6.
That was the only change I made on this.

Then it is just a matter of configuring your wireless access point
settings and authentication. All this does is generate your
/etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-wlan0 (or 1, etc..) file for you. In there,
you should have something similar to:

18:22 alchemy:/etc/sysconfig/network> sudo cat ifcfg-wlan0
BOOTPROTO='dhcp'
BROADCAST=''
ETHTOOL_OPTIONS=''
IPADDR=''
MTU=''
NAME='AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter'
NETMASK=''
NETWORK=''
REMOTE_IPADDR=''
STARTMODE='auto'
USERCONTROL='no'
WIRELESS_AP=''
WIRELESS_AP_SCANMODE='1'
WIRELESS_AUTH_MODE='psk'
WIRELESS_BITRATE='auto'
WIRELESS_CA_CERT=''
WIRELESS_CHANNEL=''
WIRELESS_CLIENT_CERT=''
WIRELESS_CLIENT_KEY=''
WIRELESS_CLIENT_KEY_PASSWORD=''
WIRELESS_DEFAULT_KEY='0'
WIRELESS_EAP_AUTH=''
WIRELESS_EAP_MODE=''
WIRELESS_ESSID='skyline'
WIRELESS_FREQUENCY=''
WIRELESS_KEY=''
WIRELESS_KEY_0=''
WIRELESS_KEY_1=''
WIRELESS_KEY_2=''
WIRELESS_KEY_3=''
WIRELESS_KEY_LENGTH='128'
WIRELESS_MODE='Managed'
WIRELESS_NICK=''
WIRELESS_NWID=''
WIRELESS_PEAP_VERSION=''
WIRELESS_POWER='yes'
WIRELESS_WPA_ANONID=''
WIRELESS_WPA_IDENTITY=''
WIRELESS_WPA_PASSWORD=''
WIRELESS_WPA_PSK='notmyrealpassword'

The only difference between my settings and yours is that my
WIRELESS_KEY_LENGTH is 64. I don't know if that would make any
difference. I am using WPA-PSK.

If you use wpa and your box uses wpa_supplicant, then you will also need
to check that the wpa_supplicant.conf file was generated and in
/etc/wpa_supplicant. It will be similar to the following at a bare minimum:

18:24 alchemy:/etc/wpa_supplicant> sudo cat wpa_supplicant.conf
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wheel

The above 2 lines are in my wpa_supplicant.conf file also.

network={
ssid="skyline"
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
psk=660d3df48ac7d4e1838a5ce0f4fcca57ba8a0c98317bc31.......
}

The above lines of code are not in my wpa_supplicant.conf file. Only
the first 2 lines that I mentioned above. I don't know if that is the
cause that wlan0 will not come up?

Check those and then issue the sudo rcnetwork stop and sudo rcnetwork
start and check the log file to see what is happening and post if
unsuccessful.

Which log file do I check? I am not sure where to look.

I did a rcnetwork stop and rcnetwork start, and this is what I got:

george:/etc/wpa_supplicant # rcnetwork start
Hint: you may set mandatory devices in /etc/sysconfig/network/config
Setting up network interfaces:
eth0 device: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5906M Fast
Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)
eth0 is controlled by ifplugd
eth0 waiting
wlan0 device: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN
[Kedron] Network Connection (rev 61)
wlan0 starting wpa_supplicant
Could not set interface wlan0 flags: Unknown error 132
Could not set interface 'wlan0' UP
Failed to initialize driver interface
RTNETLINK answers: Unknown error 132
wlan0 Starting DHCP4 client. .
wlan0 DHCP4 client NOT running
RTNETLINK answers: Unknown error 132
Cannot enable interface wlan0.
interface wlan0 is not up
wlan0 failed
Setting up service network . . . . . . . . . . done
SuSEfirewall2: Setting up rules from /etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2 ...
SuSEfirewall2: Firewall rules successfully set

After running rcnetwork stop and then rcnetwork start, my eth0
connection is no longer working. I didn't change a thing with that. It
connects to the router and gets a dhcp IP address, but will not
connect to the internet. Meanwhile my wife sits next to me with her
laptop connected to the internet without any problem at all.

And now I have just rebooted my pc, and it still won't connect to the
internet at all even by ethernet. My eth0 connection is up, and I have
an ip address, but I cannot get past my router. I just ran ifstatus
eth0, and this is what I got:

george:/home/george # ifstatus eth0
eth0 device: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5906M Fast
Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)
eth0 ifplugd is running
eth0 cable is connected
DHCP4 client (dhcpcd) is running
IP address: 192.168.0.103/24
DHCP6 client (dhclient6) is running
. . . but is still waiting for data
eth0 is up
2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP qlen 1000
link/ether 00:0a:e4:ca:74:b3 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
inet 192.168.0.103/24 brd 192.168.0.255 scope global eth0
inet6 fe80::20a:e4ff:feca:74b3/64 scope link
valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
eth0 IP address: 192.168.0.103/24
Configured IPv4 routes for interface eth0:
169.254.0.0/16 - - eth0
Active IPv4 routes for interface eth0:
169.254.0.0/16 scope link
1 of 1 configured IPv4 routes for interface eth0 up

So I have an IP address from the router, but it is giving me the wrong
kind of route to connect to the internet.

However, I rebooted my pc in windows vista, and got on gmail to send
this email, and was able to connect without a problem. So I know that
the problem has nothing to do with my router, and it is not with my
hardware because both ethernet and wireless work in Windows Vista.

George