Re: [opensuse] wlan will not initialize
On 11/05/2011 06:00 PM, George Olson wrote:
I have a lenovo 3000 V200 laptop using openSUSE 11.4. The wireless was working
fine before, but I could not get Knetwork manager to work, which I eventually
found was an unresolved bug.
<snip>
The driver is iwlagn.

When I tried ifup wlan0, I get this response:

wlan0 device: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN [Kedron] Network
Connection (rev 61)
wlan0 starting wpa_supplicant
Could not set interface wlan0 flags: Unknown error 132
Could not set interface 'wlan0' UP
Failed to initialize driver interface
RTNETLINK answers: Unknown error 132
Starting DHCP4 client on wlan0. .
wlan0 DHCP4 client NOT running
RTNETLINK answers: Unknown error 132
Cannot enable interface wlan0.
interface wlan0 is not up

<snip>

I am at a loss as to what to do next to try and get my network card back up and
running.

George

George, I use the traditional method by default. In yast -> Network Settings, I do the following:

Global Options: [x] Traditional Method with ifup

Overview: (select your wireless adapter and click 'Edit')

General: Activate device -> At Boot Time
Address: DHCP (both 4 & 6)
Hardware: Module Name (Make sure you select your 'iwlagn' or proper module)

Then it is just a matter of configuring your wireless access point settings and authentication. All this does is generate your /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-wlan0 (or 1, etc..) file for you. In there, you should have something similar to:

18:22 alchemy:/etc/sysconfig/network> sudo cat ifcfg-wlan0
BOOTPROTO='dhcp'
BROADCAST=''
ETHTOOL_OPTIONS=''
IPADDR=''
MTU=''
NAME='AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter'
NETMASK=''
NETWORK=''
REMOTE_IPADDR=''
STARTMODE='auto'
USERCONTROL='no'
WIRELESS_AP=''
WIRELESS_AP_SCANMODE='1'
WIRELESS_AUTH_MODE='psk'
WIRELESS_BITRATE='auto'
WIRELESS_CA_CERT=''
WIRELESS_CHANNEL=''
WIRELESS_CLIENT_CERT=''
WIRELESS_CLIENT_KEY=''
WIRELESS_CLIENT_KEY_PASSWORD=''
WIRELESS_DEFAULT_KEY='0'
WIRELESS_EAP_AUTH=''
WIRELESS_EAP_MODE=''
WIRELESS_ESSID='skyline'
WIRELESS_FREQUENCY=''
WIRELESS_KEY=''
WIRELESS_KEY_0=''
WIRELESS_KEY_1=''
WIRELESS_KEY_2=''
WIRELESS_KEY_3=''
WIRELESS_KEY_LENGTH='128'
WIRELESS_MODE='Managed'
WIRELESS_NICK=''
WIRELESS_NWID=''
WIRELESS_PEAP_VERSION=''
WIRELESS_POWER='yes'
WIRELESS_WPA_ANONID=''
WIRELESS_WPA_IDENTITY=''
WIRELESS_WPA_PASSWORD=''
WIRELESS_WPA_PSK='notmyrealpassword'

If you use wpa and your box uses wpa_supplicant, then you will also need to check that the wpa_supplicant.conf file was generated and in /etc/wpa_supplicant. It will be similar to the following at a bare minimum:

18:24 alchemy:/etc/wpa_supplicant> sudo cat wpa_supplicant.conf
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wheel

network={
ssid="skyline"
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
psk=660d3df48ac7d4e1838a5ce0f4fcca57ba8a0c98317bc31.......
}

Check those and then issue the sudo rcnetwork stop and sudo rcnetwork start and check the log file to see what is happening and post if unsuccessful.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.