Re: [opensuse] Post installation queries (FIRST successful installation of Linux)
  • From: Linux Tyro <opensuse.bkn1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 13:26:15 -0400
On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 12:00 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:

AYE YIE YIE!  Please fix your e-mail client so it doesn't quote my (or
anyone elses) full e-mail in your replies :)  Spammers harvest e-mail
address from these lists and it just means more junk mail for people trying
to help you. I don't know why the idiots that set up mail clients set this
as default.

Ok it (gmail only) is doing that, but now I stop that, I really didn't
know this.... I would just remove the address now..

Let us know what mail client you are using and we'll tell you how to fix it...

Definitely I would set up this, I would set-up whatever is the best
and ask in case find problem(s) [probably yes].

The complete /etc/pam.d/su file should look like this:

10:34 alchemy:~> sudo cat /etc/pam.d/su
#%PAM-1.0
auth     sufficient     pam_rootok.so
auth     sufficient     pam_wheel.so trust use_uid
auth     required       pam_wheel.so use_uid
auth     include        common-auth
account  sufficient     pam_rootok.so
account  include        common-account
password include        common-password
session  include        common-session
session  optional       pam_xauth.so

Here it is-

linuxworld@linux-g34l:~> sudo cat /etc/pam.d/su
#%PAM-1.0
auth sufficient pam_rootok.so
auth include common-auth
account sufficient pam_rootok.so
account include common-account
password include common-password
session include common-session
session optional pam_xauth.so
auth sufficient pam_wheel.so trust use_uid
auth required pam_wheel.so use_uid

Here I have two lines which show, 'pam_rootok.so' - 1) auth 2)
account, is there any change required (means should I...?)

Another thing is that I created an user (during installation) with a
name, say, 'name1' and after getting desktop of 'name1', I changed
this name to
'name_new'. But now when see the contents of '/home', the directory of
'linux~' is also there, which user is this one...? One directory is
for 'name_new', that's okay but for 'linux~', I don't know, how did it
come into existence...?

Dunno,

 My guess is that you created them somehow during the install. The easiest
way to manage users on opensuse is with yast. So just do:

sudo yast

 This will open the text version of yast and then just navigate to:

Security and Users -> User and Group Management

 You can also just use the normal GUI interface for yast, but it is good to
get familiar with the text interface in the event you ever need to manage
your box remotely (over ssh, etc..). The text interface is very good and
much easier to manage remotely.

 Once you get to User and Group Management, you will see the list of users
installed on your box. Just add or delete or rename to your liking. But I
wouldn't delete your own user.

 You can also do the same with the command line commands of: useradd userdel
and usermod (and their group companions of groupadd groupdel and groupmod).
You use the 'passwd' command to change the passwords from the command line.
By default, if you su to root, you can change/reset any user password simply
by issuing the command:

passwd theUserName

or just

passwd  (to change the current user/root's passwd)

 What yast User and Group Management does is manage the
useradd/usermod/userdel, groupadd/groupmod/groupdel and passwd for you with
its interface.

 Remember, working from the command line will give you the most flexibility,
but Yast is pretty good for most uses. When you run into a command that you
don't know the options for, in Linux you can usually just do:

Yeah sure, I did that all, but there was no extra user except the user
'linuxworld' (this was the changed name I gave to the original user
'trialbox'. But when I do 'ls /home' its the output -

linuxworld@linux-g34l:~> ls /home
linux~ linuxworld lost+found

So is it safe to manually delete 'linux~'... (probably I think
yes...?) since it is not a user created by me!

command --help

 or

man command

 That will give you the help file or manual page for nearly all commands.
E.g.:

10:47 alchemy:~> useradd --help
Usage: useradd ...
useradd - create a new user

 -c comment     Set the GECOS field for the new account
 --show-defaults Print default values
 --save-defaults Save modified default values
 -D binddn      Use dn "binddn" to bind to the LDAP directory
 -d homedir     Home directory for the new user
 -e expire      Date on which the new account will be disabled
 -f inactive    Days after a password expires until account is disabled
 -G group,...   List of supplementary groups
 -g gid         Name/number of the users primary group
 -k skeldir     Specify an alternative skel directory
 -m             Create home directory for the new user
 -o             Allow duplicate (non-unique) UID
 -P path        Search passwd, shadow and group file in "path"
 -p password    Encrypted password as returned by crypt(3)
 -u uid         Force the new userid to be the given number
 -U umask       Umask value used for creating home directory
 -r, --system   Create a system account
 -s shell       Name of the user's login shell
 --service srv   Add account to nameservice 'srv'
     --help     Give this help list
     --usage    Give a short usage message
 -v, --version  Print program version
Valid services for --service are: files, ldap

 Revisit the su setup. It really is a time saver once you get it set up.
 One more note -- and I hate this about the recent openSuSE installs -- you
must tell the installer to set a traditional root account and password
during setup or it just creates a 'Super User' out of the user account used
during install. That may be the problem with your su setup.  I've never let
the installer do that to me, so others will need to chime in on how to fix
it.

Oh nice.

 You may prefer the newfangled 'Super User' created by the installer, but I
for one always want a traditional 'root' account and root password and then
I want to create my 'user' accounts.

But whether it is installer creating the 'Super User' or it is
traditional 'root', they both have all the powers - what I know, so
the only error it may is that in this installation, by default, the
'root' is taking the exactly same password which the user was taking
(during installation) and I changed the root's password by the command
('su', 'passwd'). So apart from it, is/are there more
difference(s)...?

 Also, don't freak out about the user directories that get created under
/home. They are just individual directories that hold the personal files for
the users that get created. E.g.:

10:57 nirvana:~> ls -al /home
total 84
drwxr-xr-x 18 root       root        4096 Oct 10 23:08 .
drwxr-xr-x 22 root       root        4096 Oct 30 23:28 ..
drwxr-x---  4 david      david       4096 Dec 30  2010 admin
drwxr-xr-x  2 alan       alan        4096 May  5  2011 alan
drwxr-xr-x  2 anna       anna        4096 May  5  2011 anna
drwxr-xr-x 10 david      david       4096 Oct  4 13:27 backup
drwxr-x--- 48 david      http        4096 Nov  4 10:57 david
drwxr-xr-x 20 deborah    dcr         4096 Aug  9 20:03 deborah
drwxr-xr-x  2 dell       dell        4096 May  5  2011 dell
drwxr-xr-x  2 drr        drr         4096 May  5  2011 drr
drwxr-xr-x  4 david      david       4096 Oct 10 23:08 dv
drwxr-xr-x  8 jordan     jordan      4096 Aug 10 17:04 jordan
drwx------  2 root       root       16384 Jul 23 10:59 lost+found
drwxr-xr-x 20 david      david       4096 Jul 22 07:40 samba
drwxr-xr-x  9 sydney     sydney      4096 Aug 10 17:04 sydney
drwxr-xr-x 14 zachry     zachry      4096 Oct 23 22:03 zachry

 If there are users created that you no longer want, then delete the user in
Yast or with userdel. If you use 'userdel -r' then the directory under /home
will be deleted as well. If yast doesn't do that, then you can manually
delete the directory after you remove the user.

Ah well.

 Good luck and good choice of openSuSE for your first linux install.

In fact and frankly telling you, I have liked the openSUSE but because
of different job, it seems a little bit typical (initially 'yes') but
this is very good. If the policy of openSUSE, which is:

"The openSUSE project explicitly looks beyond the technical community
to the broader non-technical community of computer users interested in
Linux."

and as it is practically implemented too, I am glad to use it.