Re: [opensuse] Skype and obsolete setsockopt
On 11/04/2011 09:28 AM, C pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 14:07, Ken Schneider - openSUSE
<suse-list3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
There's also GoogleVoice, perhaps also only in the USA, that can be used to
place calls to landlines, domestic and international.

Yup, USA only (for now) for the Google Voice feature.

I can make VoIP calls from the browser client (I just tested it and I
could call my non-US mobile from a non-US location/account)... which
is fine if I choose to remain in my GMail account all day long... but
I've got other family members using the home PC. With Skype and
Ekiga, the soft phone is a communal tool.. anyone can just pop open
Skype or Ekiga and make a call... Using Gtalk... it's not an option
because I'm not leaving a browser page open all the time to be able to
make and receive calls.

The dedicated GTalk client is not available for Linux, and last I
checked fails in interesting ways when you try to make it work in
Wine.

So... while GTalk is a nice idea, it's impractical on Linux... unless
they make a dedicated Linux client... and even then with it so closely
tied to private GMail accounts, it's hard to justify on a multi-user
family computer.

Ekiga works very well with external VoIP providers.. but you lose out
on the IM part.

It'll be painful if/when Microsoft kills the Linux side of Skype.

C.

Oh it's not a question of if, only when. That is, and always has been, the MS modisoperandi.

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998