Re: [opensuse] Post installation queries (FIRST successful installation of Linux)
Linux Tyro said the following on 11/04/2011 06:11 AM:

Well, I guess the passwords of the superuser ('root') and this created
'user' (during installation) is same until I manually change the root
password but the two users are, of course, different. I guess it is
like this....? I just see how to change the root password.

You said it was security of Linux that impressed you?

Well, only if you don't subvert it by doing silly/stupid things that are
typical of Windows.

Having and normally using a non-root user is an important part of that.
Root is only for the admin tasks that require root.

Preferably root login should be disables so that you have to log in as a
regular user and then user 'sudo'.

I've no doubt that people out of windows find this an inconvenient
imposition, but then again, running with God-like power is one reason
Windows has so many security problems. Yes, Vista tried to address
this but managed to annoy.

It *is* possible to delegate the various subsystems to higher-than-user
but lower-than-root accounts with Suse, but its not worth the effort of
setting it up unless you are in a serious and large IT shop where the
administration of MANY machines is handled by many individuals with
specific roles and responsibilities.

--
Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff.
Frank Zappa